Class 11 Cyber Safety Notes
1. What is cyber safety?
Ans: Cyber safety refers to the safe and responsible use of internet to ensure safety and security of personal information. It also includes not creating threat for anyone else’s information.
2. How can we safely browse the web?
Ans: We can safely browse the web by keeping following things in mind:
- Try to avoid opening websites which are not secure (without HTTPS).
- Don’t provide your email, contact number , credit card/debit card information , address and other such information on websites/apps you are not fully sure of.
- Don’t download softwares or other files from every website.
3. What is identity theft?
Ans: It is the process of stealing someone else’s identity to steal money or gain other benefits. Identity theft may include using name, photograph, email id or login details of someone else without his/her consent.
4. How can we protect identity on internet?
Ans: There are two methods to protect identity on internet.
- Anonymous Browsing: Users can view websites without providing any personal information like IP address and location of user.
- Private Browsing: There are different methods of private browsing. Most common methods of private browsing are:
- Incognito Browsing: It opens web browser in such a way that it will not track your activities on internet. Most of the modern web browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome provide this feature.
- Proxy: It is a computer on a network that acts as computer middle man between your computer and the website. So your IP address and other information is never shared. Information about Proxy is only shared.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network): It is a technique to add security and privacy to your network. It never shares IP address, location and other details of your computer.
5. What do you mean by confidentiality of information?
Ans: It ensures that only authorized users can get access to data.
6. How can we ensure confidentiality of information?
Ans. We can ensure confidentiality of information in following ways:
- Install firewall to monitor data entering and exiting the computer/network. It can block data as per settings provided by you.
- You can disable cookies on your browser to block tracking of what you do on websites.
- Go for private or anonymous browsing.
- Be sure and careful before sharing your personal details on social media and other web sites.
- Don’t download attachments from e-mails if you are not sure.
- Avoid using free WiFi internet connections.
- Avoid using public computers at cyber cafes and shops.
7. What is cyber crime?
Any illegal activity done with the help of electronic communication system, computer and internet is called cyber crime.
8. What is cyber troll?
It is the way to post online messages to insult or oppose a person or group of people.
9. What is cyber bullying?
Harassing , defaming or emb arrassing someone using internet, phone, social networking etc. is called cyber bullying.
10. What is cyber stalking?
Chasing a person online using internet is called cyber stalking.
11. What do you mean by appropriate usage of social networks?
Appropriate usage of social networks is very important factor in today’s life. We should know that whatever we post on social networking sites remains there for a long period of time.
Top universities and companies look at social media profiles of their candidates to know about habits and qualities of their candidates to take decisions regarding them.
So we should never post any type of offensive content on social networks.
12. What do you know about spreading rumours online ?
Spreading rumours (fake information) using internet is a cyber crime. So there is a legal punishment for spreading rumours.
13. What are digital footprints?
Digital footprints are permanent records of what you do on internet.
14. What are various common social networking sites?
Most popular social networking sites are :
- Facebook: It is a platform where we can share posts. These posts may contain text, pictures, videos and links to websites. We can also view, like and post comment for posts of our friends and groups.
- Twitter: It is a microblogging websites to post small messages with maximum limit of 280 characters.
- Linkedin: It is platform where you can create resumes and share work related information.
- Instagram: It is a platform for sharing pictures and videos
15. Explain specific usage rules of social networking sites.
- Be honest about your identity.
- If you are working in an organization. While sharing your personal view, you must mention that they are your personal views but not representing the organization where you are working.
- Don’t use abusive language otherwise you may get punished under sections of cyber crime.
- Don’t use fake names.
- Never provide your personal information like phone number, address and bank details.
- Don’t post something that is not acceptable by your parents and other family members.
- Always respect sentiments of others.
- You should monitor comments.
16. What is virus? What can it do to our computer?
Virus stands for Vital Information Resource Under Seize. It a computer software that can harm your computer. It can harm our computer in following ways:
- It can delete files.
- It can corrupt operating system.
- It can slow down the computer.
17. What is a Worm?
Worm is a software that can replicate itself creating multiple copies of itself. Ultimately it may eat entire memory or hard disk space.
18. What is Trozan Horse?
Trozan horse is a software that looks harmless but can cause delete files and corrupt operating system of computer.
19. What is adware?
These are software which open up unwanted popup windows containing advertisements on your computer. It may obstruct smooth working or slow down your computer.
20. What does Secure Connection mean?
A secure connection is a connection that is encrypted by one or more security protocols to ensure the security of data flowing between two or more nodes.
21. What is eavesdropping?
It is the act of secretly listening to a private conversation of others without their consent. The main purpose of eavesdropping is to steal data.
22. What is phishing?
It is the way in which an authentic looking webpage or website is created to get sensitive information of users which may include their name, password, phone number, email address and bank details.
So you must look at address bar of web browser to verify the name of website where you are providing your information .